Saturday, August 1, 2009

The real trouble with being 30

So I heard that it is expected of women when turning 30 to become more confident, less irresponsible , a little bit sexier when annoyed and very frank on maternal and material issues if I may...

And I heard that if you are a single woman turning 30, you should prepare yourself to come up with smart answers when mother asks that annoying " why aren't you married like Lucy" whoever Lucy might be and to come up with smart lines when you dare ( mind : "dare" not "dream"!) to ask a guy out, whoever that guy might be even if you know too well that he's gonna let you down because your expectations are higher than what's expected of you and so on...

I am not quite single although that doesn't really save me from my mother and not yet thirty although I cannot turn and say "Ooops I barely missed the age group so I don't care" and this is the way I wellcome number 30 of my years:
I am almost 30 and I still read 16 on the others' faces when I enter the meeting room at work or at any other conference work related thing.
I am almost 30 and I still hear that "Oh she is so educated and highly professional for her age!" which by their faces sets me to the under 23 ignorant bliss.
I am almost 30 and even though I show my ID to the Big Man at the Deli, I still have to beg for the Corona that's not for me, it is not a to die for drink and let's face it now: how drunk could I get from that if I were 21?
I am almost 30 and when I look in the mirror it feels as if I were a gray haired 21 yo drinking a Corona.But that's only for a second because I pretend to know myself better, fortunatelly....

I'll be 30 in 3 days and never had time ((to) thank God!!!) or blog to dramatize about it but if I am not going to laugh at myself who will (not).


2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your beautiful age ;) Women become real women only by this time, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep I surely hope so! Went to a pizzeria on Sat night with no ID and my bf had to order my mojito as the waitress said I must be nineteen or smth:)

    ReplyDelete