Friday, August 14, 2009

prophets will be p(r)o(ph)ets

Last winter, I was still a "happy"-go-lucky New Jersey commuter.
I remember I used to see Jose every morning in front of the train station exercising his sales skills while handing us the "Metro".
"Good morning ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the most beautiful train station in the world.
My name is Jose and I ask you to remember:
you are not where you are! you are in Hawaii, on the beach, on vacation! Enjoy your day dreaming!!!"
And he would add on Mondays:" today is not Monday because Friday is running to replace it. Friday's around the corner, madam!
And people would smile and forget they're freezing and take the paper and go be happy as advised.
This character that weirdly enjoyed his small money job deserves a best salesmen prize only because of putting effort into "selling" a product that was not for sale.
One of those street people that carry life metaphors in their pockets.
Jose disappeared on a Monday when I was probably too cold to notice. I only realized he's gone one day in spring when a sad lady came to replace him. The "sales" didn't drop for sure but I couldn't help but wonder in which part of NY was Jose exercising his pitch now.
Yesterday I saw Jose in the train giving a speech in Spanish to a young lady, most probably his 13 yo daughter: "Margarita, la vida no es como un sueno, mi vida! La vida es un carnaval triste que te hace llorar...".He said more but faster and in a low voice and it all seemed to me like an encouragement more than an advice but the girl kept her eyes set on the ground.
Few more phrases and she raised her head, put on the i-pod earplugs and let the tears come out of her beautiful eyes...
It seems to me that Jose's philosophy says that happiness can only be promoted and injected into large groups by the poetry of fantasy.
Sadness remains to be given individually, portioned in slow tears and needs to be tasted as bitter piece of advice in loneliness.





No comments:

Post a Comment